Last week marked the one year anniversary for Katie's role as City Centre Manager for Lismore City Council. It has been a fantastic year filled with great events, businesses and helping brand our little gem of a town that always leaves a mark on anyone who visits or lives here. In this blog we share the letter Katie sent out to local businesses in reflection of the year that was.
This week marks my one year anniversary as Lismore’s City Centre Manager and I would like to take this occasion to express what an honour it has been to work with the businesses of Lismore, either through the Lismore Business Promotion Panel, Lismore Chamber of Commerce and The Stella Network, or with individual businesses on various projects or events.
From events to promotions, advertising campaigns to arts and cultural activities, sport to social media, the past 12 months have been a whirlwind of excitement and activity. So many people have shared their enthusiasm, feedback and support and as a result of that we have achieved so much.
Some 2011 highlights:
- Lismore Lantern Parade –the magical and iconic event once again lit the night sky of Lismore, drawing crowds of around 20,000 – a wonderful event to showcase the creative hub that we are;
- North Coast National – the 2011 event was fantastic bringing people from around the region to this historic event. It was wonderful to see so many local businesses represented and of course all the families enjoying the events and pavilions;
- Lismore Business Awards – this was a celebration of Lismore Businesses and an opportunity to showcase the diversity and various strengths of our local businesses.
- Lismore Cup Day – as part of this annual event in 2011 we unveiled the Fashion in the Heart campaign to promote the beautiful boutique fashion available in Lismore. Race Day itself was, as always, a lot of fun for the attendees, both those who enjoy the races and others whose focus is more off the track. Another great draw card for
people from out of town;
- The Back Alley Gallery – local, national and international artists have donated their time and talent to awakening Eggins/Larkin Lane and in 2012 this project will continue. Lismore businesses have been very supportive and offered their walls as canvases for the project;
- Outdoor Dining – it is great to see so many cafes and restaurants in our City Centre offering outdoor dining and as a result, creating increased vibrancy in our CBD;
- Sample Food Festival – in 2011 we sponsored this event and showcased the fantastic food and dining available in Lismore. We received great feedback from people attending the event and look forward to being involved again this year.
- Carols by Candlelight – this was a wonderful community event with over 8,000 people enjoying carols performed by local musicians. We also enjoyed great food provided by local businesses and a spectacular fireworks display, all with fantastic support from local sponsors.
- Tropical Fruits Festival – yet again Tropical Fruits Festival and Queer Fruits Film Festival attracted crowds from all over Australia in celebration of New Year. There was lots of feedback from locals who welcomed visitors at shops and restaurants throughout Lismore and the surrounding villages.
Thank you to everyone for the outstanding work that so many people do to make these events such a success. I am looking forward to continuing to work with you all in 2012 as we consolidate our achievements and continue towards our shared goal to revitalise our beautiful City Centre.